Friday, July 20, 2012

Felting Woes and an Update!

I haven't been knitting a lot lately. It's normal, it's the summer, and even though our summer here in Seattle was delayed, it's finally coming around a bit. Of course, as I type this I am looking out the window to a total downpour, but, hopefully it will clear up in the next few hours.
 
I tried felting the French Press slippers (from the last post) recently. After FOUR cycles, they're about 85% felted. I let them dry over night and tried them on, and they're about a half inch too big for my feet. The problem is that they're not for me, they're for my friend, and she has feet two sizes smaller than I do. So I need to take about another inch and a half off of them. Good luck with that, I guess. If I make these again, I will probably go down a needle size, as I think my gauge was pretty loose due to the giant needles and thrice held yarn.
I'm not great with felting, but in the past I've only done it with projects that don't need to acquire a specific gauge, so this is newer to me. Anyone have tips for successful felting? I'm doing a hot/cold cycle in my top load washer and putting the pieces in a zipped pillowcase.
 
To follow up on the projects I discussed in my last post:
  • Finish up Everlasting Bagstopper bag (~60% done) Finished (I have used it a few times but don't have any good pictures of it yet..)
  • Socks: Noro Stripey Socks? I have numerous skeins of Noro Sock yarn as well as two skeins of KP Chroma, all of which would work for these. I picked out some Chroma for this, but haven't started anything yet.
  • Hat: I'm digging the Marram Hat pattern recently. Not sure I have good yarn for it though, will have to stash dive this weekend. Still haven't found a good yarn or pattern combo.
  • Gloves: I have a single skein of KP's new Sugarbunny yarn, which is 80% Merino and 20% Angora, stashed away to make myself a pair of Nalu Mitts. I made this pattern last fall for my mom, and LOVED them (hers were in baby alpaca). Started these recently and have the first glove done, except for the thumb. This yarn is soooooooooo ridiculously soft that I'm instantly regretting not buying more before they discontinued it.

No comments: