Thursday, September 19, 2013

Color Theory

Yesterday I started on the second pair of mittens I'm making for my Canadian friend. I CO for a pair of stripey mittens, and actually finished the first mitten only a few hours later. I was very excited to take a picture and show off the pretty purple, blue and neutral color stripes until I saw the picture.
I swear that they aren't this ugly in person. However, that hasn't stopped me from continuing to look at this picture and think about ripping it all apart.
Color theory in any kind of art has always interested me. I spend a HUGE amount of time thinking about color combinations, colors on skin tones, complimentary colors, etc. This one fell short though. I think I've figured out that the purple in this mitten is too 'warm' for the stripes, and as a result looks.. just.. ugh. :( It's going in time out for now, while I think about it.

In a more positive color outcome, I finally have a picture of my finished rainbow socks to share:
I love them. The yarn is self striping from Kroy, and as you can see (if you look closely) there was a problem with the striping. That's because there were several knots in each of the skeins I used. If I was gifting these socks, I would have not been happy about the sudden interruptions in color, but as they are for me, I don't really care that much.
Kroy yarn is not the softest, it's not merino or anything, but it wears hard and I can see myself wearing these rainbow socks for years to come.

I also finished up my Spruce Tree mittens that I started only a week or two ago and mentioned in the last entry. I love the color of these mittens, and love the end result. The pattern was bloated and semi-confusing, but not so much that I couldn't get through it, and hey, it was free so I can't complain too much.
Here is my FO pic, unblocked, so they're a little wonky yet. Everything will be going in a bath this weekend.
These were knit in KP's Wool of the Andes "Spruce", which I thought to be quite fitting.

Adding the socks and Spruce mitts to my yearly yarn/knit totals, I'm four yards away from breaking 3000 yards for the year, which is very exciting! I've already beat my knit totals for 2010 and 2011, and should easily beat my 2012 totals as well since I'm only ~600 yards away, with 3.5 months to go. Not sure what's up next, maybe finishing my Octopus..?

No comments: